Since 1981, Cyrenian House has offered a residential program for individuals wanting to address their drug and alcohol dependency issues.
Cyrenian adopted the Therapeutic Community Model in January 1999 and has been an active participant in the TC Sector ever since.
The organisation has strong records of excellence in service delivery, including direct experience in delivering services to Aboriginal individuals and families impacted by substance use.
The Rick Hammersley Centre Therapeutic Community is:
- Located at the Rick Hamersley Centre; 30 mins north of Perth on 32 acres of natural bushland; and
- A four stage program based on the Therapeutic Community (TC) model. Residents are expected to complete the first 2 stages of the program (16 weeks) in order to graduate. To get the maximum benefits of recovery from drug and alcohol dependency issues, we encourage residents to complete the following 3rd and 4th stages of the program (stay up to a year).
To enable maximum benefit from the program each applicant will receive
Pre-admission: Thorough assessment, treatment matching and support whilst preparing for admission.
Support to fully participate in a comprehensive treatment program that provides:
- An individual treatment plan and case management.
- Medical review provided by onsite weekly GP Clinic
- Education on cultural security, gender issues, hygiene, BBV’s.
- Staged, manualised education groups
- Therapeutic groups.
- Fitness Program conducted by an accredited provider.
- Recreational activities.
- Targeted interventions formulated through case management that assists residents
- to identify unhelpful behavior patterns and practical strategies to make desired changes.
- Vocational assessment and assistance.
- Links to community self help groups.
- Resident roles designed to confer identified therapeutic benefits and linked to increased responsibilities and privileges.
- Consumer feedback processes where forums are provided for residents to give feedback about all elements of the service.
Because recovery is a journey not an event we offer the following options after residential treatment:
- Transitional housing for residents that have completed 4 stages of the program
- Follow up 1:1 counselling through our non-residential service
- Volunteer program at the TC
Assessment and referral
Please call (08) 9328 9200 to make a booking to attend the Therapeutic Community Information Group held at 318 Fitzgerald Street Perth. If after attending the group you feel that the Therapeutic Community mode of treatment might suit you, we can make an appointment to conduct an assessment. After the initial assessment interview and acceptance, you may attend an organised visit to the TC. While you are waiting to enter the TC you must show a genuine commitment by attending support groups and/or counselling at Non-residential Services.
Assessments are available by appointment for applicants residing in the country.